Established in 1997, the West Virginia Catholic Foundation is a nonprofit public charity incorporated to provide a means for individuals and organizations to ensure long-term financial viability for the charitable, religious and educational institutions of the Catholic Diocese of Wheeling-Charleston.
Each fund added to the West Virginia Catholic Foundation must support its mission, which is to:
- Seek endowments that underwrite Catholic parishes, schools and charities
- Create long-term funding solutions for these Catholic organizations
- Assist donors and their financial services providers with charitable giving and Christian estate planning
- Provide responsible and effective management of Foundation funds
- Distribute endowment earnings to designated organizations in the Diocese of Wheeling-Charleston
- Make unrestricted distributions that advance the mission of the Catholic presence in West Virginia, the only state that entirely falls within the borders of Appalachia.
With the leadership of Bishop Michael J. Bransfield, President of the West Virginia Catholic Foundation Board of Trustees, the Foundation provides prudent management of the Foundation’s financial resources.